CELTA courses at IH Barcelona
About the CELTA course
Next intensive courses...
• July 1—26
• July 29—August 27
Next online course...
• October 4, 2013—March 7, 2014
Next part-time course...
• November 4—February 24, 2014
The CELTA course is the original "TEFL" course and provides initial training leading to a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA).
It is intended for those without previous experience who wish to enter the profession and for teachers with no previous training in this field.
Success in the Certificate has enabled many candidates to obtain their first English teaching position: the CELTA course is highly regarded by employers around the world as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English.
The CELTA course covers the following syllabus:
- Language Analysis and Awareness
- The Learner, the Teacher and the Teaching/Learning Context
- Planning for Effective Teaching
- Classroom Management Skills
- Teaching Procedures and Techniques
- Resources and Materials
- Professional Development
- Classroom Observation
- Teaching Practice
Teaching practice is an integral part of the course. This is organised in small groups of 5-6 trainees with volunteer students at two or three different levels. After each teaching practice session an evaluation of the session is led by a course tutor.
Trainees are expected to liase within their groups outside course hours in order to plan teaching practice classes, according to guidelines provided by course tutors.
Further information: Meet some of our CELTA course tutors
You can take a CELTA course either full- or part-time as a 100% face-to-face course:
- Full-time over four weeks
Courses have a minimum of 120 contact hours, with a further 80 hours required for assignments and lesson planning. The full-time course is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the course.
- Part-time over four months
The 120-hour twice-a-week part-time course has the same course content but is specially designed for people living and working in Barcelona.
We also now offer the CELTA Online course (though note that this also includes a face-to-face component):
- CELTA online (20 weeks) NEW
The new online version of the course [ further information ] involves face-to-face sessions for teaching practice observed and assessed by your tutor, with the input sessions being delivered online. Note that there will be 10 or 11 times when you will need to attend sessions in Barcelona, always on Fridays, between October 4th 2013 and March 7th 2014.
Note that the different course formats are assessed and moderated according to the same criteria and lead to exactly the same qualification and certificate.
|13E||May 31—June 28|
|13G||July 29—August 27|
|13H||August 28—September 27|
|13I||October 4—October 31|
|13O||October 4—March 7, 2014 (online)|
|13PT2||November 4—February 24, 2014 (part-time)|
|13J||November 12—December 10|
|14A||January 9—February 5|
|14B||February 17—March 14|
|14PT1||March 3—June 16 (part-time)|
|14C||March 17—April 11|
|14D||April 28—May 27|
|14E||May 29—June 27|
|14F||June 30—July 25|
|14G||July 29—August 27|
|14H||August 27—September 26|
|14I||October 6—October 31|
|14O||October 6—March 7, 2015 (online)|
|14PT2||November 3—February 23, 2015 (part-time)|
|14J||November 10—December 5|
See the application and enrolment page.
Assessment and certificates
Trainees are continuously assessed in all the syllabus areas, including written assignments, and with particular emphasis on their teaching ability and potential. At the end of the course successful candidates receive the Cambridge Certificate and a Progress Report.
- be at least 18 years old at the start of the course
- have a standard of education which would allow entrance to higher education in their country
- have an awareness of language, and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to follow the course
- have the potential to develop into effective teachers
You don't need to be a native speaker to take the course but note that we don't offer places to candidates whose level of English is not suitably proficient.
Why THIS training course?
- CELTA is probably the most internationally recognised ELT certificate in the world
- Moderated by Cambridge English Language Assessment
- Highly qualified, experienced trainers
- Practical approach to methodology
- Extensive supervised teaching practice
- Access to the IH World network of schools
- Job placement and careers advice service
- Great post-course support
- Help with your accommodation in Barcelona
Find out more