Director of Studies (DoS) course
This 30-hour International House course is designed for experienced teachers who are interested in being trained to take up a position as a Director of Studies (DoS) in a language school.
The course aims to give an overview of what can be expected in a DoS's job.
Areas covered include the following:
- Roles, qualities and skills of the DoS
- Dealing with student problems
- Dealing with teachers
- Observing teachers and giving feedback
- Exams and testing: internal and external
- Organising teachers' meetings
- Courses including young learners and Business English
- Coursebooks and syllabuses
- In-service training
- Giving progress & development interviews
- Interviewing new teachers
- Timetabling teachers & classes
- Dealing with clients, students and parents
- Time management
Applicants should have good teaching qualifications, and extensive experience of teaching EFL to a wide variety of levels, and preferably to all types of student: adults, children, Business, etc.
Please note: the course is also open to non-native applicants with an advanced level of English.
Candidates will be awarded an International House Teacher Training Certificate at the end of the course.
Comments from previous course participants
- Overall, a very good course.
- Extremely practical, useful and invaluable knowledge that would take years of experience to accumulate, all done in a week.
- It has given me a clear idea of what a DoS is and does.
- This course will be of enormous assistance when I get stuck into my new DoS role.
- Very helpful and informative, it supplied lots of practical ideas and suggestions.
- It was really comforting to know that others were in the same boat.
- The best thing is that you have put me in contact with other people I can moan to in the future.
- A very positive and useful experience.
Dates & Timetable 2013
9.30—13.30 and 14.30—17.00
Director of Studies course: €595
Our Trainer Training course, which runs in the following week, is designed to complement the Director of Studies course.
The special discounted price for those who follow both courses is €1,115.
All applicants must complete an application form (as well as a pre-course task) and return it to International House Barcelona.
On acceptance for the course, the deposit is due. The balance must be paid at least four weeks before the course begins.
The maximum number of participants is 15.
For payment details, please see separate page.
Refunds will not be given except in exceptional circumstances, and only then if notice is sufficient to allow for the finding of a substitute candidate.