Preparation courses for Oposicions
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at English teachers preparing to take the Oposicions exams in the area of English as a foreign language and teaching in Secundària or Batxillerat.
Aims of the course
The course aims to practically assist teachers in building a course programme (programació) and individual units of work (unitats didàctiques) to prepare for all parts of the examination and oral presentation.
The course is designed to assist teachers in the following areas related to the exam:
- Awareness of key methodologies related to a secondary school context: making lessons communicative, task-based and learner-centred, with reference to the Common European Framework.
- Planning lessons to practise the four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Ways of focusing on and practising language: vocabulary and grammar.
- Preparing a course programme: aims and rationale.
- Designing units of work: aims and procedures.
- Oral presentation of work.
One session, lasting two hours, every two weeks at International House (a total of 24 hours). Although we do not deal with the topics (temes) one by one, we try to link each session to a group of temes from the official list.
Sessions are structured to be as practical as possible and course members receive input, engage in discussion and group work, and have time to work on sections of their course programme and units of work.
Outside of course hours, teachers are expected to continue working on their course planning. Teachers will bring this work to class to discuss with other teachers and the tutor. They will also be expected to do any work on their use of English if necessary, as well as preparation of the temes, in their own time.
- Teachers can send more pieces of work by email to be assessed by tutors (see price, below).
- Teachers can attend an individual two-hour tutorial for discussion of their progress and further advice on their course planning (see price).
Price of the course
Price of the add-ons
- Correction of didactic units: €30 per hour. From previous years experience, the correction of participant's didactic units is a long process and may take from 2-5 hours.
- One-to-one tutorials: €110 for 2 hours.
The course consists of 12 sessions on the following Saturdays: November 28; December 11; January 16 and 30; February 20; March 5; April 2, 16 and 30; May 7 and 21; and June 4.
Sessions are from 10.00 to 12.00.
Teachers have to complete a pre-course task. This short test helps tutors find out more about your language level and knowledge of teaching.